Friday, February 17, 2012

Never a Dull Moment

WARNING - This post contains a picture that may gross out some. Don't scroll down if you don't wish to see it (for the rest of you, it isn't that bad).


Remember how I once wrote that life is always full of adventures?

Well, yesterday was an adventurous day.

Thursdays are usually pretty busy with ABA therapy in the morning and in the afternoon. Yesterday, we also had our new OT come during the lunch hour to help us work on oral motor and fine motor skills. In the fifteen minutes between the OT's departure and the next ABA therapist's arrival, Elijah managed to have a temper tantrum, trip, and fall into the corner of a piece of furniture.

I picked him up and that's when I saw the blood and the gash on the top of his head. I kind of freaked out. There was a lot of blood.

I scooped Elijah up and brought him to the kitchen, grabbed a washcloth and held it to Elijah's head to stop the bleeding and called Andy's cell and put him on speaker phone. Andy later told me that his phone was cutting out so all he could hear was, "A lot of blood...don't know what to do."

In a few minutes, Elijah's ABA therapist, N, knocked on the door with a smile on her face. I answered it with Elijah in my arms. "Um, hi," I said. "Elijah hit his head and I think I need to take him to the hospital. This just happened." I motioned to his head.

"Yeah, that looks like it needs stitches," N said. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

I ran upstairs to get bandages and proceeded to wrap the little man's head. I was so flustered as I ran around trying to get my brain straight. My adrenaline was in high gear, my heart beating fast. N helped me by putting Elijah's shoes on his feet while I gathered my things to get ready to head the hospital.

"Is there anything else I can help you with?" N asked. "Have you eaten anything? Grab yourself a snack. You don't want any other problems," she sweetly suggested, looking out for me and my pregnant belly.

In the meantime, Elijah was as calm as can be. He cried a little bit when he first hit his head, but was quiet and ready to get on with the rest of his day. I wish I could say I was as calm as he was.

We arrived at the hospital and were quite the spectacle. Elijah, a bandage wrapped around his head, was skipping into the hospital with a smile on his face. People couldn't help but smirk at him as we walked past. By the time we arrived at the hospital, my nerves had calmed considerably. I was starting to wonder if I was overreacting.

Andy showed up not too long after we did. A short chat with the doctor later, three staples to the head, and Elijah and I were on our way back home. The wound wasn't too bad, thankfully.


Staples! My kid has staples in his head. Ew.

To be honest, I'm surprised we haven't had an injury like this sooner. Little man is fearless, has a high pain tolerance, is visually impaired, and is on the move more than any child I know. Oh, and he trips a lot.
That was really not how I was expecting my Thursday to go. I don't think it was what Elijah was expecting either. The first thing he did after we got home was go and look at the piece of furniture in question as if he was trying to figure out how that happened.

There really is never a dull moment around here.


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...